Friday 7 March 2008

12th Malaysian General Election

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

I have always tried my best not to write anything concerning politics in my blog, not that I think politics is dirty but it's only that I don't understand what are politicians doing. Manipulations, conspiracies, corruptions, exploitations, etc. have always been what I know about politics throughout my whole life. I have learnt the same thing from my family, especially my father, then from my friends in schools, teachers, fellow coursemates, lecturers and nearly everyone around me who follow the political issues in Malaysia. And when I come to UK, I face the same topics again and again when politics is the theme. It's also true when I speak to a student here who studies SPS (Social & Political Science) in Cambridge. It has never given me any positive image. Is it because I don't believe in democracy? Well, define democracy. Is it because I don't trust what the politicians say? Most probably yes and many of my friends have confirmed that they don't. Is it because I have no knowledge about politics? Probably yes cos I don't study political science in any of my degree, probably no because I do know what's happening through media (both the governing and opposition parties') and mouths of people, but I don't trust any of them because you can portray what you want. So, how do I decide who to vote for on 8th March 2008?

While I was watching all these so-called opposition's media (youtube, blogs, news) all I can see is that they want a change (reformation is the theme) and welfare. When I watch all these current-government ally's media, all I can see is that they want development and modernity. Now, as a Malaysian, what do I want? What define reformation, welfare, development and modernity? According to some younger generation of Malaysians who start to preach politics in a slightly citizen-centred way, they said that MPs or in Malaysia we call them the Representative of the Citizens (Wakil Rakyat) or politicians are just representatives, they represent us, the citizens, they work for us, we pay tax to them and with that they earn their salary by working for us, we are the bosses, employers and they are the employees, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND which sadly is the reality in Malaysia. Now, the questions in my head are, if truly that the politicians are working for us, why do they need to fight with each other? Are they fighting for the 'job' which only has vacancy during election? Or more fishy stuff behind it? See, that's the problem when I talk about politics, more unsure stuff that I am so afraid to write in case it becomes a fitnah.

Spiderman (not trying to be childish though) said that with greater power comes greater responsibilities. Once you are a representative, you are given the power from the people to voice their needs. That's like a mountain of responsibilities, don't you feel afraid to carry that? What if ALLAH asked you on that Day... When ALLAH made the Earth and asked if the mountain want to be ALLAH's representative or steward (khalifah) on this Earth, none of ALLAH's creations wanted it, it's too much and too heavy to carry. It's only later then that Prophet Adam (as) agreed to carry the responsibilities. So, if those politicians are fighting for a seat in the Parliament, I really hope that they are fighting to carry this responsibility that they think they will be able to fulfill appropriately thus earn lots of 'salary' from ALLAH.

ALLAHU'alam.

Wassalam.

No comments: